Monday, February 11, 2013

Being home without power for a couple days give you lots of time to have some great conversations as a family.  Here is one of my favorites:

Luke:  "Mom, do you think a raccoon is smarter than you?"
Mom:  "You know buddy, I'm going to have to say that I'm probably smarter than a raccoon."
Luke:  In a surprised voice, "REALLY???  I don't think so, I think a raccoon might be smarter than you."
Mom:  "I'm still betting that I'm probably smarter than a raccoon."
Luke:  "Well, why do you think that?"
Mom:  "I can talk and a raccoon cannot"
Paige:  "Oh, yeah, mommy can talk"
Luke:  "I don't know, I still think a raccoon is smarter because they can come up from behind animals and attack without them even knowing they are there.  That is super smart, right Mommy?"
Mom:  "Yeah, you got me there, that is pretty impressive"
Luke:  "But who is cooler, you or a raccoon?"
 -If I'm not smarter, I'm definitely not going to win the cooler argument.
Mom: "I'm pretty cool, Luke"
Paige:  "Oh yeah because you paint my nails sometimes, that is really cool"
Luke: "Yeah, but a raccoon is REALLY REALLY cool!  They have a mask around their eyes and they have sharp teeth"
Paige:  "Yeah the mask is to help them see in the dark."
Luke:  "NO PAIGE! That is not why they have the mask.  If they didn't have the mask they wouldn't be able to have sharp teeth."
Paige:  "Oh yeah, that 's right Luke."
Mom:  "You make a compelling case Luke, sounds like I am neither smarter or cooler than a raccoon."

Count on kids to keep us grounded on exactly where we stand.

No comments: